Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Life of the Student

Everyone bitches about their workload; it's a habit probably cultivated by the need to impress others and the desire to feel like we're doing something challenging (if not always useful) with our lives. My friends all bitch about their work, to which I listen to with good natured acceptance because they listen to my bitching in return. As a college student, though, I've recently thought that my friends truly lacked an appreciation for the amount of work I have to do - or at least an understanding. Perhaps it can be difficult to take an undergrad student seriously when they complain about their workload. I'm sure the lifestyle might seem to be that of friends, beer, parties, and lots of free time coupled with the occasional exam or paper.

Aided by modern technology, I'd like to put that assumption to rest by displaying the amount of reading I have to complete, analyze, and write about for this semester, for two classes. Of course, this doesn't account for roughly twenty online PDF readings, averaging about 20 pages each, that I have to download, print, and read in addition to my stack of books.

As you can see, my partying time is rather limited. This isn't a post to whine, but rather to educate. I'd like to think I'm doing my part here for undergraduate students all across the country. Just wait until graduate school.

1 comment:

David said...

haha - just wait 'till you work on a thesis... but I hear you loud and clear... and people wonder why we all have bags under our eyes...